Skip to main content

I had a conversation...by Buhle Madonsela

I had a conversation....with someone I don't even know. She relates:

For seven years he was my only boyfriend.

I moved in with him one-and-a-half years into our relationship. In the third year, I hinted at the marriage subject. He ignored it. I abandoned the subject and continued to be good to him. Yes, I was good to him, in every way. 

One Sunday evening, (is it evening or afternoon?) whatever you call that time of the day, we were watching Our Perfect Wedding and it gave me the chance to start on the subject again. He then started to cough, I gave him amanzi (Eng. transl. 'water') and the coughing stopped. I told myself that today he will speak to me about this. And, indeed, he responded. Babe, I just got a new job which pays more money for me to be able to afford lobola (Eng. transl. 'dowry') and other stuff.

I smiled. There was hope...

Seven years into the relationship, and 13 months in his new job...I was still hoping.

You should see his six-roomed house. I cleaned it, did the washing and ironing, I cooked, baked for him, I even bought the most beautiful curtains and bedding for all three bedrooms. You should see the pots I used... I bought them at 'Queens' with my bonus last year. And, every time he hosted his friends at home for their usual social codesa (South African political slang for 'gathering/s'), I used the best dishes and glasses. He loves it when they tell him he has done well for himself. I think I have collected about a hundred-and-seventy-eight CDs that I have been buying for him as presents over the past seven years. There is also a Lee Oscar CD there. He uses 3-ply toilet paper.

Okay...I went to his office after he asked me to pass by one day because I left my job early and when I got there, at reception, the receptionist, Michelle, called his office and told him: "There is a lady at reception by the name of Phindi (pr. 'peendee') for you."

Let me cut a long story short and say to you that today as I'm seated here (Sat. 24 December, 2016), he, Thabiso (pr. 'tahbeesoh'), is getting married to the receptionist (Michelle) in Witbank, Johannesburg.

I am back home.

And you know what? My mother's home was neglected by me all these years. The curtains in this house are torn and worn out. The bedding is so embarrassing I can't even open the bedroom door. Old and burnt Hart-brand pots and no decent drinking glasses to have my Schweppes Granadilla. I use lebekere (from the Afrikaans for 'beker', meaning enamel mug in English).

Thabiso told me it is over and he fell in love with Michelle in the sixth week at his new job and he wants to bring her to his home, I should therefore make way for her. He paid lobola for her while I was still cleaning his house and cooking his favourite meal braaipap (maize porridge) and cooked short ribs.

All my things are still at his house and I did not fetch them because I kept hoping that he will one day call me and tell me that he made a mistake and he wants me to come back. It is now nine months since I left and he hasn't called. I passed by his house one day in my friend's car and she was washing my curtains.

Michelle the receptionist was washing my curtains.

She has 2 kids. I have none.

She has him, I don't.

Status update on Facebook, 2 January, 2016, by South African business coach, Buhle Madonsela.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children's Story: The Sleepy Owl (Zulu Folklore)

Zulu-speaking people ( Amazulu ) belong to one of the largest cultural and linguistic groups in southern Africa. There are an estimated 12,5 million Zulu-speakers currently thriving in South Africa, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Malawi, Botswana and Mocambique with the largest concentration of people in South Africa (approximately 10,5 million). The word iZulu means 'heaven' and the word zulu means 'rain', if translated into English (Amazulu means 'rain people'). The  Amazulu is not a homogenous group of people and consists of different clans who had settled in the mountainous and hilly rural areas of northern KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa. This cultural and linguistic group is patrilineal and had migrated in a southerly direction along the eastern coast of Africa from the 9th century onward. According to notable archaeological finds, they initially came from an area in modern Cameroon. The largest of these clans was established by Zulu kaMalandela around 170

Poem: I Am An African by Professor Wayne Visser

I Am An African I am an African Not because I was born there But because my heart beats with Africa's I am an African Not because my skin is black  But because my mind is engaged by Africa I am an African Not because I live on its soil But because my soul is at home in Africa When Africa weeps for her children My cheeks are stained with tears When Africa honours her elders My head is bowed in respect When Africa mourns for her victims My hands are joined in prayer When Africa celebrates her triumphs My feet are alive with dancing I am an African For her blue skies take my breath away And my hope for the future is bright I am an African For her people greet me as family And teach me the meaning of community I am an African For her wildness quenches my spirit And brings me closer to the source of life When the music of Africa beats in the wind My blood pulses to its rhythm And I become the essence of sound When the

Book Review: Being Chris Hani's Daughter by Lindiwe Hani and Melinda Ferguson

'I guess the best place to start a story is at the beginning. My name is Lindiwe Hani. I was born on 27 December 1980 to Limpho and Martin Thembisile Hani. My father was also known as Chris. My parents named me Lindiwe, which in isiXhosa means ''the daughter we have waited for''. In that year, a leap year, the world's population sat at 4 434 682 000, the Voyager 1 space probe confirmed the existence of a moon of Saturn that was to be named Janus (or Janusz) - how's that for prophetic - and Robert Mugabe was elected president of Zimbabwe.'  It took me a day and some to get over reading Lindiwe Hani's autobiography, Being Chris Hani's Daughter , because I desperately wanted to hang on to the fuzzy feeling of being a confidant to its brave author that developed as I read the book. This is precisely why some biographies are pure magic. They take the reader behind the scenes of major socio-political events and in the process, create a sense of t